How Can International Students Apply For An Athletic Scholarship In The USA?
- Written by UnivAdmitHelp
- Category: Insights & Information
- Published on 08 Nov 2022
Many students apply for athletic scholarships offered by top universities in the United States. Students who show exceptional performance in athletics are awarded athletics scholarships every year. They must meet certain requirements and eligibility criteria to be eligible for the scholarships available. There are chances that you may get full ride athletic scholarships.
Who can apply for an athletic scholarship?
You can apply for the athletic scholarship if you:
- Have exceptional performance in sports
- Possess English-speaking skills necessary for admission to USA Universities.
- Clear entrance exams like the SAT, GRE, etc. to be considered for admission to universities.
What are the organizations that provide scholarships?
Scholarships are provided by several organizations to students. They are as follows:
- The National Association of Intercollegiate Associations
It is an association that was established in the year 1940 and provides sports scholarships to several small and medium-sized universities in the USA. The scholarship provided covers almost 10 sports, including baseball, basketball, football, soccer, swimming, tennis, etc.
- The National Collegiate Athletic Association
Founded on 31 March 1906, the National Collegiate Athletic Association is a non-profit organization that provides athletics scholarships to around 1100+ colleges in the USA. Some of the sports that it covers are women’s beach volleyball, men’s water polo, women's ice hockey, skiing, women’s gymnastics, and many more.
- The National Junior College Athletic Association
The National Junior College Athletic Association is an association of community college, state college, and junior college athletics in the USA, founded in 1938. The sports it covers can be broken down into divisions. Some of the sports that it covers division-wise are soccer, wrestling, half marathon, track and field, softball, etc.
Moreover, there are different kinds of scholarships available. Each of them has its own set of criteria for selecting candidates.
- Alabama Football Scholarship- the University of Alabama offers scholarships for football to students. The applicants can also apply scholarships for basketball, softball, tennis, golf, swimming, diving, and many more.
- Stanford University Women’s Volleyball Scholarships- Stanford University offers more than 350 scholarships to its students including women’s volleyball scholarships. The scholarship covers tuition fees, textbooks, rooms, etc.
- University of Florida softball scholarship- The University of Florida offers softball scholarships. In general, every year 34% of students apply for athletic scholarships at the University of Florida.
What are the tips for securing a scholarship?
Applicants need to keep certain things in mind when applying for athletic scholarships. Some of the key factors are as follows:
- As early as possible, students should begin their research and gather the documents that are needed to apply for scholarships. Among the documents they should include are their CV, cover letter, letter of recommendation from their coach or mentor, their accomplishments and achievements, etc.
- Additionally, you must conduct adequate research and search for all scholarships available. There are different eligibility criteria for each scholarship. To be eligible for a scholarship, you should know them beforehand, compare them to your profile, and choose only those that are relevant to you.
- You should familiarize yourself with the scholarships and their criteria 2-3 years before applying. Because fellowship criteria change every 5-10 years, staying in touch is imperative so you don't miss out.
- Athletes are awarded athletic scholarships by coaches and experts, who are looking for students with strong online presences. Ensure that you are connected to the online platform and use it to showcase your skills. It can also help you get better grades and be eligible for athletic scholarships.
Other Related Blogs